Monday, September 22, 2014

In case of Emergency



So I was filling out my paperwork for Plano schools. And there comes the place where you are supposed to fill in the in case of emergency, who would you like them to contact. I sat staring at that question forever. Its one of those things you can't just put someone’s name down with out telling him or her you know. So I SAT. And I stared and I left it blank with out giving it much thought. I wasn’t going to be a pest and ask someone hey can I put you down for an emergency contact ? You know in case I have a heart attack, or a bomb explodes or I have a panic attack in public and no one knows what to do with me ? Yea can I put you down for that lovely job !!!! So no I didn’t put down a name and left it blank and didn’t give it another thought until I actually had to turn in the said paper work to HR. She was sitting there looking over all my information checking my transcripts, yada yada and she stops when she gets to THAT question. She looks at me and says you didn’t put an emergency contact…..Silence and I was like yes it that a problem ….and the look that I got from her; she was totally confused. I asked if I had to have someone? that there wasn’t anyone to put on it. She had no words and until the look on her face I didn’t see it as such a big deal. But that look, it was rough. She was a little flustered and said well I am going to have to check and see if this is ok…..Like if it wasn’t she was going to magically produce someone to put as my emergency contact ! The woman was acting like this was some matter of life and death here, which it was not, I promise. And she got her answer well if there is no one then its fine to leave it blank. Just how she looked at me made me feel terrible and she said “ Well we are just going to put a line through that then, like that was going to make a difference or something. And we moved on with the rest of the paperwork.

Just that she made such a big deal about it, and then each person on either side of me gave me the looks, it was just plain awkward. I mean it can’t be that uncommon right ? I don’t know. Is it really that big of a deal ?

I was fine with it until she made such a big deal out of something so small. That’s just it really, I don’t ask even in case of emergencies. And there have been times that I should, times that I should have asked for help that I was in a bigger emergency than anyone imagined but I never said a word. That’s been the problem my entire life its been full of emergencies and you just do it, you don’t ask for help, but honestly its deeper than that because its not even a thought. Asking for help is not even in your world. Asking for help means that you are needy and that is one of the last things that I ever want to be.

So yea thank you crazy HR woman for bringing that to my attention.

No, I do not have an emergency contact, and right now that is how it is and I have to be ok with that. I have people its just that I am not going to bother them with some stupid emergency contact space on your form that you are not comfortable leaving blank.

I heart your heart

No comments:

Post a Comment