Thursday, May 7, 2020

Sacred

Our stories of sexual abuse and assault are sacred and are the driving force behind our advocacy for other survivors. They put a name and a face to the atrocities committed, often by our own family members, friends, and acquaintances, forcing society to come from behind the curtains of statistics and numbers. These numbers and statistics provide a safe shield to hide from the monstrosity of the crimes committed, especially if committed against children. It allows society not to look at the majority of perpetrators who look eerily like themselves or other members of their family or close circle of friends, not the dirty old man in a trench coat hiding in the bushes that quickly elicits righteous rage to the surface. The grave reality is that 80%-90% of these crimes are NOT committed by strangers, and that the only crime more egregious perhaps is committed by those who stand staunchly  beside the perpetrator, protecting and defending him/her. Our stories best any fairy-tale: we suffered unimaginable horrors that would have killed most people, survived, and summoned the courage to rescue ourselves. Our lives while healing may not be happily ever after, but they are amazing, inspiring, and life changing to all who hear them. You will not be the same after hearing our stories.

Anne M. Nigro Winslow survivor of sexual abuse and domestic violence




I think through the years my goal has been to help people understand to get them to do things different.  To want to do things different to make those changes and be a person that is there that hears.  I am learning that not everyone can hear, not everyone can stick around and not everyone can help and support.  There is a part of that; that breaks my heart there is another part of that that somehow I have to come to terms with. I hope that in the upcoming year ahead of me that I can let go of those people and things that can't handle the life that I have lived.  I am at a place that I want people that want to be around. I want people that can hear what I have to say, I want people that can hear my heart and still be my friend, still laugh with me and even sometimes cry.  I am hopinh that opportunities come up for m in October that I can not even imagine today. I hope there will come a time, when my heard can be heard with out the worry of how the words are taken, I just want them to be heard.  As I have said before I am one of those fighter types.  I am going to keep talking and sharing until things are done different until survivors are seen and heard,  I am going to make sure that happens. If people don't like it, then they don't have to listen.  

I heart your heart.   

No comments:

Post a Comment