Tuesday, April 30, 2024

April SAAM

 


Sometimes there are so many things to say and other times I can't find just the right words.  At the moment, I am not sure that I have the right words. April is a rough month for me.  It's my favorite month because it's the kid's birthday.  It's the worst month because it's mine.  And I hate my birthday, more than you could ever imagine. For me April is a month of trying to be ok, while I am drowning.  This month is also Sexual Assault Awareness Month and that beings its own challenges, especially when it means so much. There have been years that I have wanted to scream from the rooftops.  There have been years when I am silent needing time to process.  I am not sure which one I am in yet.  I am trying to process the worst year of my life when I was 13 and am finding it incredibly difficult.  I know that I am working as hard as I can, but there is a part of me that feels like a failure because the sadness is pretty overwhelming right now.  Tears come often and out of the blue and I am tired.  I am oh so very tired. . 

I am in this in-between place.  I have worked on healing for so long and so many areas aren't ugly oozy anymore.  And still there are other things that I fear facing.  So many things have changed for me.  I am further than I have ever been and even harder on myself I fear this place that I am in.  I have come so far, and feel as if I should be further along.  Somehow the things I am struggling with are things that I should know, that I have dealt with before and therefore, I should be fine.  But I am not.

I am In grad school to be a counselor!   That is huge, and there are times when the feelings are so overwhelming, and I think what a fraud Callahan!   How are you going to help others when you are in the state that you are in.  I know that is dramatic, I just think that I should be further along.  I want for things not to bother me. I have no doubt in being a counselor, I feel at home.  I just want to feel at home being me.  I feel at home in my counseling skills class, it's something I have wanted for so long.  I want to be able to say yes, these things happened to me but look at where I am.  You know how when you say something then say but, that everything you said in the first place doesn't matter.  That is what I want.  I want to say those things happened, but I am happy, I am whole, and I am living this life. 

I am presenting at the trauma conference in July, and that is really huge.  I am terrified and at the same time, it is a chance for me, to use my voice and make a difference for others.  That means the world.  I know that Mark wouldn't let me fail if he thought I wasn't ready.  I just have to be real.  Sometimes the struggle is still so prominent.  Maybe it's learning that there are always going to be things that I have to deal with but that doesn't make me less of a person. Because I am not completely done, doesn't make me any less credible Right?!?  I don't know.  

Such a transition time for me.  I am making all the right moves one foot in front of the other, making my own path.  I just want to be proud of myself and the things that I have survived.  I want to stand in my own light and make a difference.  Less doubting of myself, even through the healing. I may never come to a place, when I am completely finished, I don't think that is realistic anymore.  There is no stopping point, or time stamp for me being healed, just layers.  I think that I am just in a rough layer.  

This layer of being 13, is hard.  So much loss and pain that is hard to comprehend.  I am doing it I am working.  Sometimes I just need a breather.  It's so much. 

So this SAAM, I am going to go gentle on myself.  I have healed so much and looking forward to helping others. Each time that I speak or present it is a turning point. I learn so much.  I am sure this Summer will be no different. I am excited to make a difference.  Each time I speak a little more of me gets her voice back.   So I heart your heart.  Always always. 

No comments:

Post a Comment